Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Wednesday Hodge Podge ACTUALLY written on Wednesday


check out everyone's answers at From This Side of the Pond

1. If you could sit beside and/or jump in any lake in the whole wide world today, which lake would you choose and why?  
We have so many choices in Alabama!!  Our friends have a house on Lake Tuscaloosa and we always enjoy spending time with them – that would be good!  It is actually raining here today so a fun sunny day at the lake sounds so nice.  Lake Martin is a really pretty lake.  Our daughter stayed with a family on the lake when she first moved down that way.  She sent this picture last week.


I could jump in this!!  On the 25th, we are going to a friend’s house on Highland Lake.  It is a smaller lake “community.”  It is really neat.  This past Saturday, I went “fishing” with Mark (I cast (casted?) one time – then I took pictures).  I DO NOT WANT to jump in this lake.  It has been fertilized and it is green right now!!


Here is a peaceful view of the same lake -- isn't it amazing how we can look at something in a different way?


2. What's your favorite 'fruity' drink?  Limes are fruit, right?  They count, right?  Margaritas!  I also love Moscow Mules – ginger ale (or ginger beer), vodka, and a lime’s worth of juice – yummy!!

3. I read a list here of thirteen things to do right now to simplify your life. They were-

clean as you go, re-evaluate your relationships (cut toxic ties), unsubscribe (too many blogs and websites), de-clutter, write down your daily goals, reply to emails right away, forget multitasking, create a morning routine, re-evaluate your commitments (which hobbies and responsibilities are most important to you), say no, clean up your computer, and plan your day ahead

Which of the tasks listed do you currently find most helpful in keeping life simple? Which item on the list should you adopt in order to simplify your life this month?
I try to clean as I go (sometimes!); at 58, I’ve started cutting those toxic ties!!  I need to unsubscribe – I get way to many junky emails!!  I keep a daily list and love accomplishing things on the list!  I have a loose morning routine but there is a routine.  I have lots of commitments and don’t plan to re-evaluate those anytime soon.  I’ve actually been trying to clean up my computer some.  I still have a million emails in my inbox but I’m working on it - - I promise!!
Yes, I know that I didn’t answer the exact question.  Sometimes I just run with it!

4. What did you do the summer after you graduated from high school?  I graduated from high school on one day and I started working at South Central Bell (now AT&T) on the next morning.  I had not had my 18th birthday yet and my daddy had to sign a release for me to go to work (child labor?  Full time?).  I learned a lot in that job!  I didn’t start college until a couple of years later.  South Central Bell had a tuition program and I took most of my classes at UAB and some at Jeff State (jr. college) at night.

5. Are you a fan of podcasts? If so what's a favorite? I rarely listen to pod casts.  Sometimes I listen to Ted Talks . . .and I listen to sermons on our church website (told y’all about those the other day).

6. Do you think today's fathers have it harder, easier, or just different than fathers in the past?  I think being a parent is always hard – very rewarding – but very hard.  I think parenting is different these days.  Dads are much more involved in the care of their children. We had twins so Mark had to help and he was great but he still hunted and fished on the weekends and I did the birthday parties and the chauffeuring.  I think more dads show up at those events these days.

7. Tell us one way you're like your father? Or not at all like your father if that's easier?
My dad always had a temper.  I have to work at controlling my temper.  I like to think I’m like my dad – he was a good man.  In reality, I think I’m more like my momma.  I definitely look more like her.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

My birthday was yesterday and I think it was one of the best celebrations of my life!  I’ve had a couple of incredible parties over the years given by friends and those were wonderful, too.  This year, I started my birthday by reading as a guest reader for The Overflow Foundation which just happens to be hosting a camp in Tarrant - my home town.  I was saddened by the condition of many of the homes in the neighborhood but these children sang happy birthday to me, made giant cards for me, and seemed to enjoy the book I read.  These children made me smile from ear to ear.


Since my birthday fell on a Tuesday, I was surrounded by young adults in the evening – they brought desserts and cards and treats for me and they made me feel so special.  (Kate standing beside me)  Yes -- I blew out ALL those candles - cupcakes, regular cake, ice cream cake and individual cupcake!!


Laura came home from Auburn and when I got home from work she had decorated the kitchen.  


My co-workers showered me with cards and treats and gifts.  My sisters both sent a package.  My mother-in-law made German Chocolate cake for Sunday’s dessert for my birthday (it is one of my all time favorite cakes!!).  

Tonight, Mark is taking me to Hot and Hot, a wonderful local restaurant and I plan to get the heirloom tomato salad and who knows what else.  The chef is Chris Hastings who beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef and he was also a James Beard award winner.  Eating at Hot and Hot is a real treat and I’m excited!!  He uses as many local ingredients as possible. 

Chef Chris Hastings making his fabulous tomato salad.
doesn't it look amazing???  I'm so excited!


2 comments:

  1. Oh wow what a lovely lot of celebrations. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and thanks for the birthday wishes!!

    ReplyDelete