Friday, November 10, 2023

Ten Things I Love About Thanksgiving


Our writing prompt from Marsha in the Middle is to write 10 things we love about Thanksgiving so here I go! Please feel free to write your own blog post and share your favorite 10 or please feel free to comment!

1. I love Thanksgiving food. Our family Thanksgiving sidedish menu varies slightly each year but the main things are the main things. We always have turkey, dressing, and gravy. I can take or leave the turkey but I LOVE dressing and gravy! I have thought long and hard over the years about simply serving my plate with JUST dressing and gravy. We don't do giblet gravy but a light brown turkey gravy. Could I drink it straight from the gravy boat? Please? I know I can't!



2. I should be giving thanks all of the time. I am grateful all of the time! On Thanksgiving I feel like my mind slows down enough to truly give thanks for ALL of the blessings in our lives. I like that good feeling of giving thanks.

3. Thanksgiving is a holiday that requires NO presents! We get together as a family. We laugh and talk. The only stress is purchasing and cooking the food. I love giving presents and I somewhat like receiving presents but it is nice to have a holiday that doesn't require presents. Make sense?

4. I enjoy being with our family and sometimes a few friends on Thanksgiving day. There is just something special about sitting around a table breaking bread with people you love.

family and friends at our
house a few years ago


5. I love the leaves that have fallen by Thanksgiving. I love that crunch when you step on them and how you can kick your feet and make little leaf storms.

6. I love the pre-meal drink we often serve. My mother-in-law is a tee totaler so no alcohol at her house but we mix cranberry juice and gingerale together and it looks and tastes festive. Just FYI, I think it would be good with the addition of Vodka.

7. I love the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. I love to turn it on and watch it while I cook! I really love the Snoopy balloon!

8. I love that the day after Thanksgiving is coming and I will put away my Thanksgiving decorations and start thinking about Christmas. I know many of you have probably already decorated for Christmas but I like to wait. I like to give Thanksgiving the respect it deserves.

9. I love Thanksgiving leftovers. Back to food - sorry! I don't know if it will work this year because of the need to feed Mark's mom's caregivers, etc. In the past, we pack up all of the leftovers into the fridge and no one touches them until after church on Sunday. We reheat everything and it tastes even better for Sunday after church lunch.

10. I love Thanksgiving decorations. I have several sets of pilgrims. I have some turkeys. I have fall leaves. I LOVE Thanksgiving decorations. This is our house pre-fire. The dining room looks very different now.



13 comments:

  1. How my mother loved the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade! I suspect she was disappointed we never 'remembered' to watch. I've still no idea what we're serving, but will probably abide with tradition (thank you, Publix).

    PS - Yessss to a 'no gifts' holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You get it! Publix makes some great food -- somebody's mama cooked it!!

      Delete
  2. I love a lot of the same things. I linked today, I've never done this one because normally I'm not paying attention to the date! but this month I managed to land on the 10th. I like the parade, and I also enjoy the dog show that's always on Thanksgiving Day. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about the dog show! I love it, too!

      Delete
  3. Dressing is something I have only acquired a taste for as an adult (once I started making my own and mixing in some extra tasty bits and things) but I still do not like gravy at all. We make a light brown turkey gravy too but I only use it in my leftover casserole-- a favorite way to use up our leftovers that our family just loves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What all do you mix together in your leftover casserole?

      Delete
  4. Food is king for Thanksgiving and the leftovers are THE BEST!! I enjoyed your 10!! It will be here soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your #3 and #4 answers - yes, exactly!!! That is how I feel too. We also have always done the cranberry cocktail and gingerale - I grew up thinking that WAS punch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought we were the only people who drank the "punch"!! I love that you drink it, too!

      Delete
  6. Lisa, I really enjoyed your responses. I also love the crunching sounds of the leaves beneath my feet and the low pressure of Thanksgiving! Over commercialization has ruined most major holidays for me. But thankfully, Thanksgiving is still about gratitude and thanks and not about arbitrary gift giving. It has always been my favorite holiday. Wishing you many blessings this Thanksgiving!

    Shelbee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a wonderful November full of blessings!

      Delete
  7. YOur answers were fun. I wasn't sure if I could come up with 10

    ReplyDelete