Wednesday, November 15, 2023

It Is What Day Hodgepodge?

I'm joining up with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for the weekly Hodgepodge. Who knew there were so many days designated for so many things?? 

1. This week's Hodgepodge lands on National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day. Is yours in need of a cleaning? Will you get that done today? How often do you tackle this particular chore? Yes! My refrigerator is in desperate need of a good cleaning. I won't be doing it today but I will hopefully clean it over the long Thanksgiving weekend!! I clean out food at least once a week but I only give it a wipe out a few times a year. Let me clarify - if we spill something in the fridge, I clean it up then. Otherwise, two to three times a year. My favorite fridge cleaning story is from August of 2005. Our daughter was at Auburn for the beginning of her Freshman year of college and was participating in Sorority Rush. She actually experienced a very good week and ended up in a good sorority BUT one night she called all upset about something. Just FYI - after she told me all about it, she slept soundly BUT I DIDN'T. I literally cleaned out our refrigerator and freezer in the middle of the night.

2. November 15th is also National Philanthropy Day...tell us about a charity (local or otherwise) you like to support when you're able.  I've mentioned The Hub before -- it is our "ministry hub" for our church. We have all sorts of ministries including ESOL classes for people from all over the world and a food pantry which feeds about 400 families a week. We also partner with Homewood Helps to build beds for kids in the community who have no bed; we make backpack bags every week for those in our school system who have food insecurity; we have a store with clothing (for free); we are having a Christmas store where families can shop for their children (free). I wish I could help in more ways but since I'm working full time, I bought presents for the Christmas store from our Amazon wishlist. Mark, on the other hand, is retired and he works on Mondays and Tuesdays. He has a pick up truck which he drives to a particular Publix and picks up their give aways. He also picks up at a Dollar General and he does a big pick up at the Food Bank. He helps sort the food. He loves the camaraderie and has gotten to know so many people.

Another charity that I have supported over the years is Heifer International. I've also helped build several Habitat for Humanity houses.

3.What in nature inspires you and why? For the beauty of the earth, for the glory of the skies, for the love which from our birth, over and around us lies . . .that line from a hymn just popped into my head so I guess that is what inspires me!

4. What's something you own that makes you feel cozy? Hoodies! I love hoodies!! 

5. Who did you thank today? Who thanked you? I thanked two of our maintenance staff at church on Tuesday and told them that they were doing a great job and I really appreciated them. My boss thanked me yesterday (it is 5:30 in the morning . . .I have only grunted . . .I haven't talked yet). Some of the young adults thanked me last night for the dinner.

6. Insert your own random thought here. It is way too early in the morning for random thoughts ;-). Actually, my allergy doctor is retiring so I'm headed to see the doctor that did my sinus surgery in 2022 to see if he can take over my allergy care. I hate changing doctors of any kind.

8 comments:

  1. I also hate changing doctors! So I just... stop going. LOL. Also, as for #1 - I totally have a tendency to clean if I am angry or upset. It's a really good motivator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate changing doctors too. I'm seeing a new primary doc in March, my 4th in the practice since I started there in 2015. They keep moving on so I'm assigned a new one. I have liked them all so I hope that's true of this one too. I might have picked her because she's a Tennessee Vol lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your #1!! Ha!!
    My doctor moved to Alaska!!! He did give me two recommendations before he left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite articles of clothing are collegiate hoodies! (War Eagle!) I loathe having to change doctors, too. Presently, I'm having to arrange for out-of-network care for my hubby through the VA and have been on the phone ("please hold") all morning. Grrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nature inspires me to sing. Those are some wonderful ministries. Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Changing doctors is not fun. Hope your former doctor will take you on! I enjoyed my visit here! Another fun Hodgepodge from Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your charities sound like such good ones, very worthy of support! I like that you quoted the lines from the hymn - very appropriate. Hope all goes well with the doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your answers. I realized i forgot to comment from last week. It's never fun looking for a new doctor for anything.

    ReplyDelete