Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Hodgepodge Wednesday

 Like most Wednesdays, I'm joining up with Joyce and the gang to answer her questions!

1. Are you too hard on yourself or not hard enough? Elaborate. Do you know about the Enneagram? I am a number one on the Enneagram. We number ones have a voice inside our head criticizing us all of the time. For most things, I'm too hard on myself.

2. What's the role of gratitude in your life? Gratitude is so important! I am truly grateful for so many things.

3. Where do you get your news these days? How much attention are you giving it currently? I read my news online - New York Times; Wall Street Journal; the local TV stations that have online presence. I actually like the BBC, too. I think the BBC usually tells the truth with very little slant right or left. I don't watch the news anymore than I have to do so. Mark and I have been following the news about Israel/Palestine because we know folks in both places.

4. Do you like potatoes? Last time you prepared potatoes in some way? Which of the following is your favorite...baked potato, mashed potato, french fried potato, sweet potato, hash brown potatoes, roasted potatoes, or potato salad? We went out to dinner on Monday night and I ordered a "baker" with chicken. I wish I had taken a picture but it was nighttime and we were eating outside. It was THE BIGGEST potato I have ever seen. I ate until I was full last night. I took the leftovers to work today and ate HALF of the leftovers and will have the other half for lunch tomorrow. I love all of the potatoes mentioned and I try not to eat them that often. I've mentioned on here before that I LOVE french fries. Yum! Yum! I'm answering these out of order . . .I plan to make a sweet potato casserole this weekend. My sister-in-law shared her recipe with me because it is sooo good.

5. Are you a veteran? Are there any veterans in your family? Will you do anything special to honor them on Veteran's Day/Remembrance Day this year? I am not a veteran. Mark is not a veteran. Both of our daddies fought in World War II but both have been dead for many years. I will think about our dads on Veteran's Day and I am forever grateful for those who have fought for our freedoms.

6. Insert your own random thought here. I can't believe that it is November and we are rapidly approaching Thanksgiving and Christmas. How??

17 comments:

  1. I'm with you...it's very important to be grateful and I like a good potato myself. It is hard to believe it's already the 11th month of the year. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I read your comment, Cathy, I thought . . .I'm grateful for potatoes :-). I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week!

      Delete
  2. Agreed that I cannot believe how quickly we are hurtling towards Thanksgiving! I have got to start thinking about picking up a turkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Gobble Gobble! My sister-in-law is smoking the turkey this year and I am in charge of some of the side and pies.

      Delete
  3. I agree the year has flown. I like the earlier Thanksgiving because it feels like we have an extra week to prepare for Christmas. I will see both of my daughters before the holidays as it's their 'in-law' year, so I want to have all of their Christmas ready to avoid mailing. I love a good baked potato, but these days a half is usually enough. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the earlier Thanksgiving, too! I hope you enjoy time with your girls and their families!

      Delete
  4. I've found that news organizations from the UK and Australia present stories from the US with far less bias than any US-based outlets. Maybe because they only spend a small fraction of their broadcast on news outside of their own country. And yes, how did the year go by so quickly?! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym - you are so right!! I think the news outlets from other countries present our news with far less bias!

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a mammoth potato and a delicious one at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine how a farmer grows a potato as large as these!!

      Delete
  6. I am going to check out the BBC channel. My son makes mashed red potatoes that are really good. I love French fries, but don't eat them often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat french fries often either but I do love them!! You will have to let me know what you think of the BBC.

      Delete
  7. I've seen those huge baked potatoes recently; Tom wonders where on earth they're to be found. After having taken the Enneagram twice in as many years, I'm still a #6. (*sigh*) It is what it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please tell Tom that I wonder where these giant potatoes are grown!! They say that no matter how often you take it, it will come out the same :-).

      Delete
  8. Yes, Thanksgiving and Christmas are upon us. I hope since you know you tend to be hard on yourself you can find ways to counter that. I don't think I've ever had sweet potato casserole. Hope yours is yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweet potato casserole becomes almost sweet potato pie with sugar and spices and a wonderful pecan topping. I will limit what I eat because I just don't eat sugar often. My boss (senior pastor) says we should err on the side of grace and he sometimes reminds me that I would extend grace to someone else so I should extend it to myself, too. I'm still not good at doing that.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed your answers. I'm an enneagram 9.

    ReplyDelete