Friday, July 7, 2017

Fifth (now Seventh) of July HodgePodge


I won't be linking up with Joyce this week because it is now Friday and I realize that I fell asleep while blogging on Wednesday night . . .and didn't finish my post!

1. When and where were the best fireworks you've ever seen? Speaking of fireworks...do you know your hot buttons? The things people can say and/or do to set you off? When was the last time someone pushed one of your hot buttons?
First things first -- I LOVE fireworks.  I really LOVE fireworks.  I love when they go "boom" and you can feel it in your chest.  Know what I mean?  I didn't get to see a single firework this year for the fourth of July.  We have "Thunder on the Mountain" fireworks here in town and they are pretty spectacular.  There are also fireworks at a local stadium and at a local country club or two.  We do the fourth well.  The fireworks at Disney World were pretty spectacular!  (that has been a good many years ago!)

Yeah . . .I have hot buttons.  I have lots of hot buttons.  Some make sense and some don't!  I will say that as I get older, I don't seem to blow the roof off as often as I used to.

I get annoyed when someone thinks their opinion is the only right opinion.  Seems like we've had a lot of that in the past year - from all sides and regarding lots of things.  I get annoyed when people want the church to operate like a country club.  I get really annoyed when someone makes racist comments (that is not correct grammatically but my brain has stopped functioning by this time of night)

2. Have you hosted any outdoor summer parties this year? Attended any? What makes for a great outdoor party?
We are hosting a fish fry next weekend and IF IT IS NOT RAINING, part of the evening may be outside.  We have three porches with tables, chairs, etc. and we have a lovely secret garden courtyard with chairs and a table.  We ate dinner with friends earlier in the summer and spent the evening on their back deck - three couples makes a party, right?  I love lots of lights - twinkling lights, fun lights strung up above, etc. BUT what really makes a good party is the right mix of people, lots of great conversation, laughing until you almost pee in your pants (hope that never happens!!), festive drinks, good friends.  Doesn't matter whether the party is outside or inside if you have those things!

3. What does freedom mean to you?
The right to make my own choices.  The right to say what I want to say but the sense to know when to keep my stupid mouth shut (some people HAVE NOT learned how to do that).  Maybe even more so in the day of social media . . .I have the freedom to write what I want to on facebook BUT sometimes my fingers really don't need to type the words (some people HAVE NOT learned this either -- just because you think it, does not mean you need to type it).  The right to worship.  Freedom also means knowing and remembering that someone DID something for that freedom -- soldiers who fought for our freedom; Jesus and his death on the cross.  Seems weird to put those two things in the same sentence.

4. July is National Cell Phone Courtesy month...what annoys you most about people's cell phone habits?
I really hate for someone to talk on their phone in the check out line and totally ignore the cashier.  That is just so rude!  I also really hate to see a family in a restaurant and both parents and their kids are all on cell phones and no one is talking to each other.  I hate to see a parent in the park in front of our house and rather than interacting with their child, they are too busy tweeting about it, etc.  Time with your kids is gone in a flash, folks.  You better enjoy that time.

5. What's your current summer anthem?
You will think I have totally lost my mind . . .but Great Is Thy Faithfulness has been playing in my head.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.
I cannot believe that we are already on July 7 - where has the summer gone????  I haven't even made it to the neighborhood pool yet!





No comments:

Post a Comment