Friday, February 3, 2017

A FUN CRAFT AND . . . ALWAYS LEARNING SOMETHING NEW

I love learning a new skill!  I've always heard that if you aren't learning and growing . . .you are dying!  I sure don't want that to happen anytime soon so I think I'll keep learning.  Almost every week, I learn something new regarding my job or the workings of the UMC or about the Bible.  Those are all so very important and good but it is FUN when I learn a new craft.

I have a Silhouette Cameo.  It is my second silhouette machine - I wore my first machine out!  I love making banners and party decorations and maybe someday, I'll have time to scrapbook again.  Laura has a friend who owns a Cricut.  Laura called and said that her friend had decorated several shirts, etc. with cute designs so she asked if I would buy some iron-on vinyl to help her make a shirt for school.  So those of you who know me well .. .know that I immediately logged onto Amazon.com (one of my favorite places) and ordered some vinyl.

The vinyl came in this pack with these instructions.  I had never used vinyl before so I had no idea what "weed" (in this context) meant.  Once again, computer to the rescue.  I also love Google!  I found a blog and a couple of youtube instructional videos and went to work.


The name of the school is Ladonia so I used a fun font and typed the letters.  According to the above instructions, I needed to flip the design so that it would print correctly.


I enlarged the letters because we decided they weren't big enough and then I flipped the design.


I put the vinyl on a cutting mat (some instructions said you didn't have to use a mat but I have found that my machine works better with a mat).  Laura forgot to bring the shirt home with her so I sent her home with a piece of parchment paper (to lay over the letters when she was ironing them onto her shirt) and the letters in a zip top baggie.

We practiced on an old t-shirt (wouldn't this be cute on a onesie for Emma??).  My error has been corrected in this picture but I forgot a very important step.  After you iron on the letters, there is a thin film that you peel off.  I thought the letters seemed awfully stiff and they seemed to be just resting on top of the fabric.  Laura was quick to correct the situation.  (she also has better eyesight than I!!)
  Our test shirt worked.


Here is Laura's shirt ready to wear to school.  It turned out really cute!  I had to buy an entire packet of iron-on vinyl so I foresee several other projects!!


I don't want to ever be accused of being "too old to learn"!!  Have you learned any new skills lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment