Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Wednesday Hodgepodge

 

 Hodgepodge Questions-Volume 556

Thank you to Joyce for this week's questions! I would love to know your answer to some of the questions! Feel free to answer in the comments or join us over at From This Side of the Pond!


1. It's National Splurge Day...what's something you might splurge on today? What have you splurged on recently? I’m not going to be splurging on anything today. Some might think our upgrades to our home were a splurge, but we haven’t regretted a single penny.

2. Do you have a beach bag? What's in it? Is a trip to the beach on your summer bucket list? Do you have a summer bucket list? The two times I’ve been to the pool this summer, I’ve carried a plastic sack from the grocery store to hold my phone, etc. So classy! I own a couple of cute beach bags that were gifts and I do enjoy using them! I need a new beach towel because we are using the ones we already own to cover our chairs on the porch (cat hair). We usually go to the beach every year but since we are going to Greece and Turkey in October, we may not make it to the beach. One of the things on my summer list is to enjoy as many moments of this week as possible. Friday will be the longest day of the year and it is ONE of my favorite days!!

3. What's a song that makes you think of a summer past? What comes to mind when you hear it? What memories does it stir up for you? Fun, Fun, Fun by the Beachboys! Songs by Jimmy Buffet make me think of the beach! We are going to see Black Jacket Symphony in July and they will be performing a night of Jimmy Buffet!

4. Sushi-yay or nay? Have you actually tried it? If you love it what's your go-to order? I have not tried Sushi. My family loves it. Mark even loves sashimi (nope – not me!).

5. I own a ridiculous amount of  (this was a fill in the blank!): flip flops?? Or maybe books?? We cleaned out so much when we moved back into the house. 

6. Insert your own random thought here. I will write about her soon, but my mother-in-law died last Wednesday and her interment and Memorial Service are today. If I don't visit your blog and comment today, I'll try to catch up soon. Our daughter, Laura, wrote this last week and posted on social media:

Last night, one of the greatest women I’ve ever known went home to be with her Lord and Savior. And I know that when she got there she was greeted with open arms and the words “Well done good and faithful servant.” She was the only grandparent I ever knew but she was all I ever needed. She taught me so many things including that it’s always better to be over dressed than underdressed, never show up to someone’s house empty handed, and the biggest lesson, that she lived out daily, was that there is always room at the table. She had 4 children, 6 grandchildren, and 3 great grandchildren but there was always room at the table for anyone who didn’t have somewhere to go. One Easter my cousin brought 10 of his friends from college to Easter lunch and she welcomed each one of them with a smile and hug. If there wasn’t room, she would just get another table. She was affectionately known to everyone as ‘Grandmother’ because that’s how she treated everyone, like she was their grandmother. She will be missed terribly but I know she is leaving a legacy that will last for generations to come because there is always room at all of our tables because there was always room at hers.

 

9 comments:

  1. I am sorry to read about your family´s loss. My condolences to your husband on losing his mom as well to everyone whose life your MIL touched. The tribute that your daughter wrote was beautiful and moving. What a relief to know that your MIL is in heaven and that you will spend eternity with her. I hope her service goes well and that you are comforted, being surrounded with family and close friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious tribute and a wonderful legacy to leave. I'm so sorry for your family's loss and will keep you in my prayers this week. What a comfort it is when our loved ones know Jesus. We grieve, but not without hope. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about the loss of your mother-in-law, and your daughter's tribute to her is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your MIL. That was indeed a nice tribute. And yes, all Jimmy Buffet songs remind me of summer; I went with the first thing that popped into my head and it wasn't very summery - more like just this time of my year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL ... what an elegant lady. Your daughter's tribute is perfect; I've no doubt she will continue to exemplify her grandmother's legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tribute to an obviously well-lived life! Prayers for comfort and strength for the next season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet and amazing tribute to your dear mother-in-law. May God comfort all of you in your earthly loss. What a comfort to know she is in her heavenly home with her Savior. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful legacy your mother-in-law left behind. From what your daughter wrote, many people will carry her in their hearts. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tribute! A home upgrade is always worth the splurge!

    ReplyDelete