Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Hodgepodge

I'm joining up with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for Wednesday Hodgepodge.

1. If your life had a theme song for this past year what would it be? Overcomer by Mandisa. We made it through the last year.

2. Chocolate cake, chocolate milkshake, chocolate ice cream, chocolate truffle, chocolate mousse, chocolate candy bar or a fudgy chocolate brownie...of the chocolate treats listed, which one is your favorite? Which one have you tasted most recently? Or maybe you don't like chocolate??? I love chocolate. My favorite treat lately has been sugar free fudgsicles.

3. What has surprised you recently? People are always surprising me - in both good and bad ways!

4. September 19th is National Voter Registration Day in the US. Are you registered to vote in whatever state or country you happen to live in right now? If not, why not? Not counting a political race, what's something you've had to vote on recently? I am a registered voter. Our neighborhood is in an uproar over a proposed multi-use sprawling mess that is to be built across the road. They want to put in 295 apartments, a boutique hotel with 40 rooms, about 40 townhouses, and a handful of businesses/restaurants and a smallish parking deck. We live in a very nice neighborhood and everyone is going crazy. There are a few people for the development but it seems most are against it. The thing that bothers me is how people have talked to and about the "other side." We have a nature preserve with waterfalls and rocks that people climb and hikers hike. This development will be built in front of the gorgeous woods. If each unit has just 1.5 cars, there will be so many cars on our road that traffic will be a nightmare. The local middle school and elementary school are within walking distance of our neighborhood and they will be swamped with more children. It isn't an official vote but we vote no. Our neighborhood plans to go en masse to the next city zoning meeting in October.

5. Do you like to hike? If so, when's the last time you went hiking and where'd ya go? If you're not a hiker are you a walker? Is walking (for exercise, etc.) part of your daily/weekly routine? See above about the Moss Rock Preserve. I think that was where I hiked last. I'm not a big hiker but went with our son. I don't walk every day but I ride my stationary bike every day.

6. Insert your own random thought here. Our Women's Retreat is this weekend and I'm really looking forward to being away a couple of days and nights!


18 comments:

  1. Why do we feel like we need to fill every inch of space with development? Ugh. I hope the plans are stopped, or at least revamped. Enjoy your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been enjoying the sugar free fudgesicles too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That development sounds like a nightmare. Good luck at the city zoning meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope we can get that proposal off the table.

      Delete
  4. Overcomer is a great song! I heard Mandisa at the American Diol concert tour. I have two of her CD, and both are great! I hope they vote no on the new development. But the city is all about making money. Have fun at your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at a conference about 15 years ago and Mandisa was one of the ladies attending the conference! I had never heard of her before then. She was (still is?) friends with Lysa Terkeurst.

      Delete
  5. That's a great song choice! That proposed development sounds overwhelming. It could be a good thing for your property values -- not so much for those of you having to experience the noise and traffic. Please keep us up to date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been told that it will not increase our property values but decrease. Mark has been to the meetings. In reality, there is nothing for "us" (the residents of our neighborhood). There is no new green space. We might get one restaurant and a nail salon out of it. The biggest problem is that this is NOT what everyone was told when we all bought homes here.

      Delete
  6. Ugh!! I just can't understand why people need to fill up every empty spot. I would definitely vote no!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree chocolate everything us good. Your reteat sounds amazing enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that stepping away for the retreat will be really great for my mental, spiritual, and emotional health!!

      Delete
  8. We are seeing apartments and homes going up everywhere around here. Popping up like fungus in wet basements! Good luck getting yours stopped! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that analogy - fungus in wet basements!! I hope we can stop it.

      Delete
  9. Overcomer is an awesome song! It was my best friend's "fight song" when she was diagnosed with cancer - and with God's help she did overcome!
    So sad to see natural areas and parklands compromised by out of control development. Hope it turns out well in your neighborhood though. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your friend, with God's help, overcame her cancer! That is great news!!

      Delete
  10. I like that song by mandisa too. Our little town is seeing so much growth and doesn't have the road infastructure to handle it, but no one gets to vote on it.

    ReplyDelete