Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The first birthday celebration . . .

Our "children" have picked such wonderful friends. Mark and I enjoy spending time with them and feel so blessed that they allow us to spend time with them!!! Laura celebrated her birthday with us a day early (so that she could celebrate "out and about" on the actual night of her birthday). We went to Sumo and I had never been there before and we all really enjoyed the evening.


Laura invited Taylor and Julie and Anna to go out to dinner with us.

 

In these restaurants, the chef makes or breaks the dinner!  Our chef was great.  He was funny and personable.  A mother and daughter came in and joined us at our table.

Mark ordered sushi . . . .because he likes it . . .and I think he was the only one who ate it.  I must say that the arrangement was quite pretty!!  I think that sushi must be an acquired taste.  I just can't get over the fact that it is raw fish . . .and I've seen Mark clean too many fish.

Our chef made a mickey mouse with the fried rice!

And he made an onion volcano which was really cool!


When Mark and I arrived at the restaurant, we mentioned that it was Laura's birthday.  The hostess said "you pay $5 extra and get personal chopsticks and dessert."  So we did.  Not only did Laura receive a pair of her very own chopsticks but she also received a fresh fruit cake.  We had ordered a caramel cake from Pastry Arts.  As always, the cake did not disappoint.  YUMMY!
I don't know if I just happened to catch her with her eyes closed . . .or if she was making a wish!

No birthday is complete without the blowing out of candles.


Sitting there watching Laura and her friends and listening to their conversation . . .made me think. I can't believe that just a few short years ago we were planning birthday parties with crafts and paint and jumpy things. How did 25 years pass so quickly? How could I possibly be old enough to have a 25 year old daughter and son? People would always tell me to slow down and enjoy them. How do you slow down when life is running full speed ahead. We did try to slow down as often as possible. One year, they could each pick one after school activity. ONLY ONE. That year was so special. They played outside when the weather was nice. We went to church on Wednesday nights and Sundays. It was a slower time. I still can't believe how fast the years have flown by.


Well, those years have flown by and I am a middle-aged mom and I feel so blessed to be a part of our "children's" lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment