Sunday, October 2, 2011

Butch's recipe for chicken noodle soup - yummy!!

This recipe is from my friend, Butch Smith. She willingly shared her recipe with me . . . of course, this is not exactly the way she shared it - this is the way that I made the soup and it worked and it was delicious. (you can cook your own chicken if you prefer and then use that broth as your chicken broth)


CREAMY CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP


8 chicken breasts halves (bone in is best) (I used three large cans of white chicken breast)
2 (10 1/2oz) soup cans chicken broth (I used 2 cans of chicken broth from the store)
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1-2 cups little green peas (I added the whole can - drained - but add the amount that you prefer)
1 stick butter
3 cups water
6 tablespoons flour
1 8 oz. package egg noodles
1 1/2 cups milk


Spray pot with pam.  Brown chopped onions.  Pour canned chicken broth and chicken in pot and add carrots and bring to boil. Add salt.  Boil 25 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.  Add water and bring to boil and then add noodles and cook 10 minutes. Prepare cream sauce: melt butter and blend in flour. Gradually add milk, stirring until mixture thickens. Add hot cream to soup, whisking constantly, until well blended. Add chicken and cook on very low heat, stirring often, until soup is slightly thickened and heated thoroughly.




This soup is yummy. It tastes like chicken pot pie without the crust. I think I will be cooking this soup often this winter!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment