Sunday, December 17, 2023

Sunday Stealing from League of Extraordinary Penpals

I'm joining up with the gang for Sunday Stealing. I've answered some of these questions recently so I kept my answers short . . .which is a big deal for me!

1. What is the best Christmas gift you’ve ever received? One year Mark surprised me with a tiny camera that attached to my computer. He sent one to my sister in Texas, too, so that we could see each other when we talked. This was a LONG time ago and the quality wasn’t great but we could see each other. It is amazing how far technology has come!

2. What is the worst Christmas gift you’ve ever received? A black plastic pedestal from Aunt Nelle’s basement was wrapped up and presented to me by her. To this day, we have no idea what it was. Mark said I should have rewrapped it and given it back to her the next year with a note, “I loved it so much, I had to get one from you.” This was back when Mark and I had not been married long. She was something else!

3. Do you have a favorite Christmas song? I love O Holy Night sung by Scott Brooks on Christmas Eve at our church and I love Silent Night which we sing at the close of the Christmas Eve services. We start the song in darkness and then one candle appears and before long all 1000+ candles are glowing. LOVE IT!

4. Does your family have any favorite holiday traditions? I’ve mentioned this recently. We play croquet! When our kids were all small, we would all go to Christmas Eve services together and then eat pizza at Mark’s mom’s house.

5. What is your favorite Christmas snack? I’m not making it this year, but it is a snack cracker mix with seasonings (including dill) in it. I could eat it until I’m sick!!

6. Did you believe in Santa growing up? Yes, I believed for far too long 😊.

7. How early do you start decorating? The earliest I’ve ever decorated is on Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving.

8. Are you an early or last-minute shopper? Is there a middle option? I guess I’m more of a last minute shopper. Packages are being delivered now and it is just the middle of the month!!

9. Would you rather give or receive gifts? I would rather give gifts IF they are good gifts and the receiver likes the gifts!

10. What’s your favorite Christmas movie? Four Christmases and Christmas Vacation are my two favorites.

11. What is one of your Christmas memories? I remember the Christmas after my mom died in November of that year. She had purchased some things before she died and I remember it was like she was there.

12. Do you open any presents on Christmas Eve? There were a few years where the kids got Christmas pajamas and they opened those on Christmas Eve but generally, we don’t open on Christmas Eve

 

 

12 comments:

  1. I DO love singing Silent Night on Christmas Eve at church by candlelight. But we've abandoned real candles in favor of electric votives during COVID because we didn't want people blowing out said candles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a children's Christmas Eve service and they use battery operated candles so the kids can hold them, too. There is just something so beautiful about the real candles.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of "Four Christmases." I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of those movies that you either really love or really hate.

      Delete
  3. Our churches used to have a joint candlelight service and it was wonderful, all of the denominations coming together. Then the Baptists got a new minister and that ended that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our church is quite large so we have multiple candlelight services - we actually have folks come who have nothing to do with our church but just want to attend a Christmas Eve Candlelight service. I'm so glad they join us.

      Delete
  4. We, too, have a Christmas Eve candlelight service that's so very moving. Oh Holy Night can't be beat -- especially if it's performed by Michael Crawford.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love all the Christmas traditions. They change over the years, for sure, but that candlelight Christmas Eve service is one I look forward to every year and it always brings such peace. My favorite song the past few years is "Mary, Did You Know". Makes me tear up every time I hear it. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head -- that service brings such peace to my heart and soul!

      Delete
  6. I didn't think anybody actually played croquet. I used to live opposite a croquet club in a posh area of Manchester. I never understood the appeal.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we don't play by any official rules. It gives us all a chance to be outside and to be together and there is a lot of cheating going on!

      Delete