Jump on over to Joyce's blog and answer her questions for Wednesday Hodgepodge!
1. Are you more task oriented or people oriented? Elaborate.
That is a tough question . . .according to my enneagram, I’m probably task oriented because I’m a perfectionist (we just did the enneagram on our last staff retreat). I’m also judgmental according to that . . .and dang it, I keep seeing that in myself! I try not to be!! Back to the question – I LOVE people but I also LOVE my personal space and I LOVE some time alone every day. I have said this before . . .I must be an extrovert with introverted tendencies . . .or maybe vice versa. I love to make lists and mark things off (very task oriented!!) but no matter where I go, someone tells me their life story. I had a colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago and I know the CRNA’s life story (she kept me very calm with her soothing voice!!).
2. December 15 is National Wear Your Pearls Day...do you own/wear pearls? If you're a man answering the question, does your sweetheart own or wear pearls? Everyone share a 'pearl of wisdom' with us here today.
I love pearls. I wear them often . . .around my neck and in my ears. I think it would be hard to be a southern born and bred woman and not own/wear pearls!!
I shared this “pearl of wisdom” with a small group participant last night . . .and it is an oldie but goody and applicable to most all people – “God gave us TWO ears and ONE mouth. We should listen FAR more than we talk – even when we want to talk – we often should JUST listen.”
3. Speaking of pearls...oysters? Are you a fan or not a fan? If you answered yes, tell us your favorite way to eat oysters? If you said no, be honest-have you ever tried one or does just the idea of eating an oyster make you gag a little?
I have eaten one raw oyster in my life. I was in Houston with friends (a million years ago!) and I had to have a drink to fortify me and I ate that oyster on a cracker with cocktail sauce. I have no desire to eat any more. My husband loves them!
4. Time Magazine has named President-elect Donald Trump Person of the Year. Let's take presidents and presidential candidates out of the mix for a minute. If a political figure had not been chosen who would you name Man or Woman of the Year for 2016?
I think my person of the year would be someone like Terrie Shroyer, a friend of ours. She works tirelessly in a ministry with children who don’t have very much at all. Sometimes, she is just a warm body and a sweet hug to those children. She has organized a full thanksgiving meal for 40 families for two years in a row – we provided green bean casserole ingredients, corn meal, spices, turkeys, pumpkin pie ingredients, etc. Another person of the year, would be our friend Mollie – she also works tirelessly with those who might not have as much. She invites them into her home, she offers the wonderful gift of friendship (and she does not judge – she evidently DOES NOT have the same enneagram number that I do!). My husband and son both work/cook often at a local homeless shelter – they might be nominees. I feel like I am surrounded by such good people – people worthy of being named Man or Woman of the Year for 2016!!
5. The Pantone Color of the Year for 2017 has been announced, and it's a vibrant green aptly named-greenery. Your thoughts? Is this a color currently in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in this shade for the new year? Click here to see the color.
Wow – it is vibrant! It reminds me of a green apple paint color from a few years ago. I don’t have anything that color in my house and probably won’t add it anytime soon. I think I may have a shirt or two that are similar in color. My eyes have a lot of green and gold and this color would probably work well for me.
6. Today I've had too much________________________.
I’m not sure what I’ve had too much of today . . .On Monday, I had too much “people” – I even ate lunch at my desk. That is a rare thing for me and kind of funny since the very first question today was about people vs. tasks! On Monday, I also ate way too many calories/fats/junk food/etc. Ho! Ho! Ho!
7. Share a favorite lyric from a favorite Christmas carol.
I love this verse of Silent Night – I almost always get choked up at this point on Christmas Eve:
Silent night, holy night!
Shepherds quake at the sight.
Glories stream from heaven afar
Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia,
Christ the Savior is born!
Christ the Savior is born
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I just can’t believe that Christmas is approaching so rapidly. Working on a church staff sometimes sucks the joy out of holidays that others enjoy. When we leave the sanctuary on Christmas Day, I will relax and enjoy a week of vacation (hopefully I will relax!!). I need to clean out some closets and just hang out in my house and clean and organize!! I know that doesn’t sound like that much fun but sometimes having things neat and orderly makes me able to enjoy the rest of life! I also can’t believe that at this time last year, I was preparing to go to Israel in January!! I cannot believe this year has flown so quickly.