Friday, April 17, 2015

Gingerbread with lemon sauce

Over the years, I have eaten many things as an Elliott that I never had as a Walls.  My mama was a good cook and made homemade desserts,etc. so I wasn't deprived by any means!!  It may be that my momma died when I was so young that I just don't remember.  I'm pretty sure she (nor my granny) ever made this dessert.  I LOVE it and so does Mark.  I can actually still remember the first time that Mark's mother served it.  I LOVE the taste of fresh lemons, but don't really like lemonade all that much.  Is that weird?  When I was pregnant, I threw up lemonade and haven't liked it much since then!  (yes, I realize it has been almost 29 years - I just can't get over it!!)

The gingerbread part is two boxes of gingerbread mix.  I didn't know my wonderful mother-in-law ever used a boxed mix for anything!  She said you can't make homemade any better than this.  To the two boxes of mix add all ingredients listed on the recipe on the box (you know like eggs, etc.).  Also, you need to add a heaping cup of raisins and a heaping cup of chopped pecans.  Bake as directed.

The next part of the recipe is absolute deliciousness.  Look at my handy dandy lemon juicer.  I told my sister that the only one I could find in the store was plastic.  She found one at an antique store and bought it for me and brought it from Texas!!


I bought an entire giant bag of lemons at Costco.  They were full of juice.  Imagine the smell in my kitchen.  Heavenly.  I wasn't kidding - I love fresh lemons.


Here is the recipe for Lemon Sauce - by Susie Elliott via the joy of cooking.  I'll type the original recipe and put our changes out beside it.  Just fyi - we cut the gingerbread into generous squares.  Place the square of gingerbread into a BOWL and ladle on the lemon sauce - the more the better.

Lemon Sauce
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (we use 2 cups)
1 T cornstarch (we use 1/4 cup)
1 cup water (3-4 cups - start with 3)

Combine these three ingredients and stir constantly over a low flame until thickened.  In about 5 minutes, remove the sauce from the fire.  Stir in:
2 to 3 T butter (we use 1 stick)
1/2 t grated lemon rind (we use at least 2 teaspoons - make sure you don't get down into the white part - bitter)
1 1/2 T lemon juice (we use 6 Tablespoons or more) - don't buy bottled - use real lemons!!
1/8 t salt (maybe a tad more)

Serve warm sauce over gingerbread.  Put the extra in a gravy boat to pass around the table.  Enjoy!! (Mark thought this lemon sauce would make a great mixer for bourbon - just fyi - it didn't work!)

No comments:

Post a Comment