Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wednesday Hodge Podge



first of all, I think I want to be friends with the author of this blog "from this side of the pond" (that sounds rather stalkerish and I don't mean for it to do so!!  )  There are several bloggers that I think -- we should be friends!!  I guess that is why I follow them!!!  Y'all go visit and read the post about her daughter's wedding - I think post number one is really good!
so here are her questions for this week:


1. Did you watch The Oscars? How many of the Best Picture nominees have you seen? (American Sniper, Birdman, Boyhood, Selma, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, and Whiplash)

Do you think actors should use their acceptance speeches as an opportunity to promote their political and/or social agenda? Does that sort of speech make you more or less inclined to change the channel?
I did not watch The Oscars.  We weren’t home and it is not something that we would normally record.  We watched The Grand Budapest Hotel just last week!!  I personally like movies and enjoy going to the movies – Mark not so much.  We’ve only seen a handful of movies together in 30 years of marriage.
It seems like everybody uses EVERY platform lately to promote their political and social agendas.  If I’m watching a show for entertainment purposes, I don’t really want to hear all about someone’s political agenda.

2.Speaking of the movies...are you comfortable going to a movie alone? How about dinner in a restaurant (not fast food, but an actual restaurant)? The second half of this question was posed by Carrie who blogs over at It's Not Easy Being Queen. Thanks Carrie!

I’ve been to a couple of movies alone.  It didn’t bother me but it bothered my children (can’t remember how old they were – high school maybe?) a lot!!!  I wanted to see The Apostle (had to look it up – 1997 – my kids were 11 years old!!) and Mark didn’t want to go so I remember going by myself.  I need to do that more often – especially in hunting season!!  My problem is that I have so little free time.  If I have an hour, I’m more likely to go get a pedicure!!  I’ve also been to several restaurants alone (when your husband hunts on the weekends, you learn to adapt!).  I’ve also traveled for my different jobs over the years and have had to eat some meals in restaurants alone.  I would rather go to the movies alone.  If I go to a restaurant, I usually take a book or magazine!  I always feel like people are looking at me with pity – awww poor lady – she has to eat alone!

3.What's the last home repair or home improvement project you had to pay someone to complete? In hindsight was this a project you could have done yourself?

We have a brand new house so we haven’t had to have many things done yet.  We did have tile/stone put down on our screened in porch and we paid someone to do that job.  I’m sure we COULD have completed the project ourselves – we are both pretty smart people and we are pretty handy . . .but at this stage of the game, sometimes it is so much easier to pay someone.  Yes, I know we would have had a sense of accomplishment . . . if we didn’t kill each other first – hahahaha!

4. Have you ever had Indian food? Like it or no? If you're a fan, what's your favorite dish? Have you ever prepared this yourself at home? Is there an Indian restaurant in your current hometown?

I have never eaten in an Indian restaurant.  I don’t think I have ever eaten Indian food.  My husband LOVES Indian food and eats so often at a local restaurant that when he sees the man out in public, the owner REMEMBERS Mark!!  I know that many people think we are slow or “backwards” in the south, but in Birmingham – we have some great restaurants!! 

5. A song that reminds you of your parents?
How Great Thou Art reminds me of my momma.  I can remember sitting in my daddy’s lap and he would sing, “Get along home Cindy Cindy”!!  He also listened to some record about coal and the company store – just googled it – Sixteen Tons by Tennessee Ernie Ford!  We had this giant stereo/tv combo in a big piece of furniture!  Both of my parents have been dead for longer than I knew either of them so I have to think hard!!

6. The 26th of February is National Tell a Fairy Tale Day. What's your favorite, or one of your favorite, fairy tales? Do you have any childhood memories associated with a particular fairy tale?  I don’t remember reading fairytales much as a child.  Surely we did???  I remember hearing Little Red Riding Hood and Rapunzel and Hansel and Gretel.   The three little pigs – were they a fairy tale??  (I should google that!)  I’m not sure that I read any of those to my children.  Seems like they frightened me so I decided to wait until they were older . . .and then it was too late.

7. What's a problem you solved yesterday?

let’s see – yesterday . . .I helped solve the problem of whether to close the office today for our non-snow event (I gave my opinion – that counts, right??).  I’m glad I’m not the main decision maker.  I’m sure I helped solve other problems but Tuesdays are so crazy – we thought we were going to have icy roads yesterday so I was a little late to work and then we had staff meeting and then I came home and cooked for our young adults and facilitated the study.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I am so very disappointed that it didn’t snow.  I wanted to make a snowman in our new yard or in the park across the street.  I actually wanted to walk around in the snow.  It has rained all day.  It did rain ice pellets (hail, perhaps?) at one point and there is some ice on the tree branches but that is it.  We didn’t have to go into the office today.  Almost everything shut down.  I enjoyed working from home in my yoga pants and house slippers!!  We don’t get a lot of snow in Alabama and we had a big snow event last year.  The cities north of Birmingham got a big snow today – it JUST missed us.  I’ve looked out the window and at the weather forecast more times today  - so many times that it just seems ridiculous. 


No comments:

Post a Comment