Saturday, July 20, 2013

What to do with all those extra tomatoes . . . .

Last weekend Mark and Glenn went to the farm and when they returned, they brought goodies. One of the goodies included a box of tomatoes . . . alabama garden tomatoes . . .home grown. Nothing like a good home grown tomato.  I had just purchased a small box of tomatoes from Mr. Davidson, the vegetable man, on Thursday . . .so I had more tomatoes that I could eat.  Mark doesn't eat tomatoes unless he makes himself.  How could you not love a tomato sandwich with mayo and lots of pepper???  YUMMY!! 

So this box from the farm was sitting in the laundry room floor full of tomatoes (I put these three back in to take a picture for y'all!) and I saw a few fruit flies . . .so I knew I had to do something quickly.


I put a big pot of water on to boil.  As soon as the water came to a rolling boil . . .

I dropped the tomatoes into the water for just a few seconds.

When you do that, the peel releases from the tomato in a thin sheet.  There is no waste of the good "meat."



I put a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and placed all the tomatoes on the cookie sheet and slid that cookie sheet right onto a freezer shelf until later in the day.  When they were nice and solid, I placed them in a freezer bag and sucked the air out (using a straw in the zipper top of the bag) and put them back in the freezer.  Now I have a nice bag of fresh tomatoes to use in gumbo or soup or sauce.  This is such an easy way to freeze those extra tomatoes!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment