Wednesday, August 9, 2023

It's a Cat's Meow Hodgepodge

I’m joining Joyce’s Hodgepodge group today. It seems like most of my blogging falls on Wednesdays and Sundays . . .when someone else provides the questions/topics and I just answer. Maybe someday I’ll get back to actual writing.

1. August 8th is National Cat Day. Do you own a cat? Are you a 'cat person'? Your favorite 'famous' cat?

We do own a cat and his name is Harvey – sometimes Harv for short. I am a cat person. Mark hated cats until a stray took up with us about 15 years ago. His name was Snug – short for Snuggles. After we had Snuggles put to sleep (horrible horrible day), we didn’t intend to get another animal BECAUCE I’M ACTUALLY VERY ALLERGIC TO CATS. Our daughter made us go to a rescue event and we came home with Harvey (then known as Harley which Mark refused to call him). My favorite famous cat is Pink Panther. I have always loved Pink Panther and for years had the Pink Panther theme song as my ringtone.






2. Cat nap-copycat-scaredy cat-curiosity killed the cat-cat got your tongue-like herding cats...which cat phrase applies to your life in some way currently? Explain. 

I would enjoy a cat nap every day but that doesn’t happen often. They might frown upon me sleeping at my desk!! I have been a scaredy cat (along with Harvey) during thunder and lightning storms and we’ve had a lot of those lately. Also, our new smoke alarms have malfunctioned twice. The most recent was at 3:48 a.m. Saturday morning. Harvey and I both were scaredy cats. I told him that if I could get under the bed with him, I would. The cat rarely has my tongue. I do feel like I’m herding cats at times because I’m always trying to wrangle answers from our staff members.

3. What's your favorite or most- often-made one pot meal? 

My most popular one pot meal is One Pot Spaghetti by FiveHEARThome. Here is a link to her recipe. I actually use half hot breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean or Tennessee Pride) and half ground beef. I use a little more spaghetti sauce and a little more paste than she does. I also usually quadruple the recipe for our young adult group. 

4. What do you wish you'd placed in a time capsule fifteen years ago? 

Great question. I actually subtracted back and 15 years ago was 2008. I think our kids were starting their Junior year of college. I didn't start blogging until the following year!! Those might be the things that I would put in a capsule – some of the memories from working rush for our daughter’s sorority; tailgates at their apartments on game days; moving them back and forth from Auburn. I love that the main things we remember are the good things.

5. Your favorite hour of the day? Tell us why. I’ve always loved that time of day right at the end of daylight  . . . the sun has sort of already set but it is that wonderful time between daylight and dark  . . . especially if I can be on the water. I’m a tad crazy though because I also love sunrise. There is just something wonderful about the ability to get up and start the day with a clean slate. I may have totally screwed up the day before but when the sun comes up the next day, I get to start over in some way or another.

6. Insert your own random thought here.  One of my job duties is to schedule baptisms. Our offices are in a new part of the church and my office ceiling is leaking . . .shouldn't be happening. Anyway I found this meme today and it made me laugh out loud. I will tell you that I wouldn't want to use the water that is dripping into my trashcan . . . it is not clear! Yuck!

Since we now have a leaking roof problem,
it might be a good time to schedule some
baptisms!


18 comments:

  1. I actually like that time of day too. It's usually peaceful and also, when our owls come out to hunt. The other night, we had two out there at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine that watching those owls is fascinating!!

      Delete
  2. I guess I'm a bit of a scaredy cat with some things, like heights, or being out wandering after dark. That spaghetti sounds good. I'm going to go check the recipe out. I love sunrise too, and sunset. That meme was funny. Leaking ceilings are no fun. Definitely a problem going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a wonderful "end of week."

      Delete
  3. Yes, sunrises and sunsets are beautiful and we have a pond right behind our house and the sun sets over it and it's so peaceful. Going to check out the spaghetti recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching the sun set over a pond sounds so lovely!

      Delete
  4. I also enjoy that time of day, especially if dinner is cooking and we can have a nice glass of wine on the porch. I've never tried the one pot spaghetti but I clicked over and read the instructions and I'm intrigued. Might have to try this. I like Raos if I'm jazzing up a jarred sauce. It's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen Raos in the store, but I've never purchased it. You are the second person to recommend it so I might need to give it a try!

      Delete
  5. Little wonder you (and Harvey) are skittish about thunderstorms. Alabama's sure had it's share lately, hasn't it? Your one pot spaghetti sounds right up Tom's alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - the lightning here last night was so intense. I used to love a good thunderstorm . . .now I just want to hide.

      Delete
  6. Cute cartoon and another fun Hodgepodge from Joyce! I am a cat person, for sure. Your boy is precious!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce is so creative - I don't know how she comes up with the questions every single week!

      Delete
  7. A funny and relevant cartoon. Hope they fix that leak soon! So sorry about Snug. It is so hard to lose a beloved pet. Harvey looks quite content. I'm sure I would enjoy your one pot spaghetti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvey is a contented kitty - spoiled rotten!

      Delete
  8. Well I am with you and Harvey, I do not like thunderstorms. Our Penelope does not as well.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had even more thunderstorms this weekend. An area near us had lots of damage due to straight line winds on Friday night -- trees down on houses and power poles pulled down.

      Delete
  9. Harvey looks sweet. Thanks for the recipe. Enjoyed reading your answers and I love your random joke. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvey is usually sweet. He cannot stand for my husband to be on the phone! He nips at his ankles :-)

      Delete