Thursday, August 10, 2023

August 10 on the 10th!!

 


1. Tell us about your favorite summer vacation. Now, tell us about a vacation gone wrong! Wow -- let's see . . .we had some wonderful vacations over the years. Our family loves the beach and we would rent three big condos at Four Seasons of Orange Beach. My sister-in-law and her family would have a condo and Mark's mom would stay with them. We would have a condo and we usually had our own kids plus another kid plus sometimes my sister, Becky. A few times we even had Mark's brother, Bill and his wife. The third condo was George and Alice and Grace and Alice's sister, Vivia.

This was a more recent beach trip - 2021

This is on one of the family beach trips long ago

Our kids were probably high school or college
students here

A vacation gone wrong . . .we've had a couple of crazy things happen -- a few years ago, I face planted on the metal pier. Since then, we've lost several friends to massive head wounds from falls. I give thanks that I just looked really horrible. 

It was a bad fall

Two years ago, our brother-in-law got caught in the undertow. Mark and I had gone out to dinner and we got a message from our nephew telling us his dad had "almost drowned." We called our server over, paid our tab (we hadn't eaten yet), and headed back to the condo. They were loading him into an ambulance and Mark ran up to the ambulance. Just FYI - he is fine . . .but it was scary!!

2. Share an activity from your summers as a kid, but now you wouldn't even consider trying it. The only thing I did as a kid that I probably wouldn't try now is roller skate. I don't want to break a hip. We rode bikes. We played kickball. We swang and sang (that sounds funny!).

3. Is there something you love to wear in the summer, but would neverwear in the colder months? I have a tendency to wear things year round. In Alabama, we do have some cold weather in the winter but you can find me in Birkenstock sandals a large portion of the year. I detest sweaters and long sleeves so I also wear a lot of short sleeves year round.

4. Spill the tea. What summer beverage do you need to make it through the day? What beverage wouldn't grace your table ever during the summer? I drink Diet Pepsi all day long. It is my beverage of choice. I've tried to make myself drink Gatorade Zero some this summer, too. I keep diluting it so that I get more water in. I am NOT a fan of hot tea or coffee. I can drink them but I don't usually.

5. When you were a kid, was there something you did that kids today would think was a complete waste of time? Is there something kids do today you find a lost cause? This is a good question . . .we didn't have to be entertained every moment of every day. We learned to play by ourselves, if necessary. We were also very inventive using all sorts of things to make a Barbie house. I think some kids probably spend too much time using screens.

6. Share a summer movie you watch as often as you can. What summer movie do you wish had never been filmed? I have no idea! I'm not a big movie person so I can't answer this question either way.

7. Tell us about your current favorite summer song. Now tell us about a song that instantly takes you back to your childhood. I don't have a current favorite summer song which is sort of sad. The other day I was somewhere in a public place . . .and This Magic Moment came on. I remember that song playing in the skating rink when I was a kid or early teenager! 

8. Time to spill the tea again. Are you a bikini kind of girl? Or are you the type of person who only dips her toe in the water in a one piece? As an adult, I've owned 1 - count it - 1 bikini. I usually either have a one piece or a two piece with long top (not a tankini - more coverage).

9. Share a favorite summer recipe you love to fix over and over again. Now what summer recipe did you try one time and you'll never try again. I love fresh sliced tomatoes and could eat them at every meal in the summer. I know you wanted a recipe but you just can't beat fresh tomatoes in the summertime. I did make an heirloom tomato (tomatoes grown by brother-in-law) tart a couple of times this summer and it was yummy.

I made a watermelon and feta salad one time. I was served it at a luncheon and liked it so I made it at home . . .and didn't like it. This is not a recipe, but one of our local restaurants serves a Conecuh Sausage (made in Alabama) and Chilton County Peach (Alabama) pizza. It is divine.

10. What is your absolute favorite summer smell? Coppertone! What summer smell wants to make you vomit? This is a yucky question . . . so I'm trying to think of a really yucky answer - I'm going with hot trash that maybe has fish in it. Shudder.


8 comments:

  1. Wow! You really did have a bad fall. I'm glad nothing was broken and that your brother-in-law was fine after being sucked out with the undertow. Oh...This Magic Moment! It seems most of the bloggers linking up are close to my age because they're listing songs I remember from growing up. And, you are only the second person (including me) to list a diet soda...that makes us special, right? Thanks so much for playing along!

    https://marshainthemiddle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rotting fish... in the trash or washed up on a beach or bank. Yuck!! The song that takes me back to a summer... Ricky Nelson's Travelin' Man. Chlorine is the smell that goes with that song on the juke box at the community pool!! Good golly, your poor face!! Ouch!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes; those are some scary vacation times but thankfully it sounds like most of them were lots and lots of fun. I am not a hot tea or coffee person either and will really only drink hot tea in fall or winter WHEN I feel like I might be getting sick and then I load it up with lemon and things to "fight" off my cold (not sure it really ever works but I do it every time anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to be really cold for me to drink hot tea! What all do you put in the "medicinal" tea?

      Delete