Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Thank God for Rainbows Hodgepodge

 

Hodgepodge Questions-Volume 404


Here are the questions to this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge. Answer on your own blog, then hop over to From This Side of the Pond to add your link to the party. See you there!  

1. What's something we'd find you doing most afternoons? Due to covid, we've been closing the office at 4:00 each day and I actually feel like I have an "afternoon" because it is still daylight when we get off! I drive home and immediately put on comfy clothes. I usually start supper and then I go upstairs and ride the bike for 30 minutes. Sometimes I burn supper. Seriously. 

2. Who do you take after? In what way(s)? I look a lot like my mom. My Uncle Henry (now deceased) used to whisper in my ear every single time he saw me, "you look like your momma and I love you!" Since my mom died when I was 15, I have no idea whether I'm like her in actions or not. She had a strong faith in God and she did pass that on to me. I think I'm more like my daddy in regards to my temper. I can lose it in an instant and I don't like that about myself. I actually think I've picked up actions from my mother-in-law, too. I've been her daughter-in-law since 1984 and she has been my mother for all intents and purposes. I take after her in the kitchen because she taught me how to cook a lot of things. She, too, is a strong woman of faith much like my own mother.

3. 'After every storm comes a rainbow' or 'the calm before the storm'...which phrase do you relate to more right now? Tell us why? Surely there is a rainbow coming, right? Actually, yesterday was a pretty crappy day. We buried my aunt and a man literally fell out at the graveside service and had no heartbeat. The people standing near him did chest compressions and someone called 911 and all along, the funeral kept happening. They got his heart restarted and I don't know how he is doing now. I was pumped full of adrenaline when I drove back to the office and then I crashed around 3:00 so I started home. We hosted (via zoom) the young professionals group last night, as we've been doing for many years. My co-worker (who is an Old Testament scholar - really!) led the study (and it was excellent) but I could feel myself continuing to free fall. At the end of the session, one of our sweet young women asked if she could share the screen. The young adults had made a video for us thanking us for continuing on through the pandemic. They recorded themselves telling us how much we mean to them and that they thank us and love us. Let me just tell you -- a true rainbow after the storm. God uses people in the most amazing ways to let us know that he is still there - he is still with us - always.

4.What are your plans for the day after tomorrow? I'm assuming that you mean Friday? I'm going to work half a day and then I'm getting a much needed haircut and color!

5. Complete this sentence-"After all is said and done_____________________." After all is said and done, I still need Jesus. After all is said and done, my life is good and we are blessed. After all is said and done, I want Jesus to say to me, "well done good and faithful servant."

6. Insert your own random thought here. It has been too cold to walk outside so I've been walking on the treadmill every morning. I think I told y'all that I made a goal during the pandemic to exercise 365 days in a row. I think I'm on day 290+ at this point. This morning it was a balmy 44 degrees outside at 5:30 and I walked outside. Walking outside beats treadmill every day PLUS I got to see this.




14 comments:

  1. Nice sunrise! Some days it is very cold here but I still run. It's difficult getting out there but I manage. I don't manage to run early enough to catch a sunrise though, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can walk outside if it is 39 or above. When it drops below that, I just don't have the appropriate clothing. I walk around 5:30 and sometimes the cold PLUS dark just make me walk on the treadmill or do an exercise video.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet memory of your uncle's words!
    I enjoyed reading your answer to #3. God's timing to encourage your heart!
    Good job on continuing to exercise. I found some walking videos on youtube that I have enjoyed and want to do consistently. It's good to have it to do when when the weather is not the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! What a day! But what an unexpected blessing to close it out too. Enjoy your haircut and color. That is one of my favorite things ever : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A haircut and color is one of my favorite things, too! I love having my hair washed, too!

      Delete
  4. What a frightening gravesite experience! I'm marveling at the timing of that video tribute. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope the man at the gravesite has recovered. How upsetting that must have been. One of the benefits of our sunroom is that it faces east so we are blessed to enjoy the day's sunrise. But, we don't see the first of the brilliant colors as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were able to get his heart started with chest compressions but I haven't heard if he is going to be ok or not.

      Delete
  6. Bless your heart, what a freightening experience. Color and cut is just the best and I do it every 4 weeks without fail. Happiness galore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pre-covid, I made an appointment every 5 weeks to have mine cut and colored. I hate for my roots to show! I had to go 12 weeks at the beginning of the pandemic because I had an appointment right when everything shut down. My husband said, "why don't you just stop coloring it since you've gone this long?" NOPE - NO WAY!

      Delete
  7. That's a great goal and you're doing so well - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do become like those who we spend the most time with. I learned many things from my late MIL. The way she multi-tasked was amazing and has helped me to be more organized but I fear I have a long way to go to even compare myself to her. :) She was a wonderful second mother. Holy cow, that's the strangest story I'd ever read about the man at the graveside. I hope he's okay. I agree with you I still need Jesus no matter what. He's my anchor. Congrats on keeping true to your daily exercising goals! I fell out of sync doing my daily elliptical workouts but am trying to kick myself back into gear. :) Thanks for sharing your answers with the group, Lisa. Whenever you get a chance, I hope you'll swing by for a visit at Curious as a Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was surreal standing beside a grave . . . and 30 feet away someone was doing CPR on the man all while the funeral continued. Love your blog!

      Delete