Wednesday, August 23, 2017

The Sun and Moon HodgePodge


Joining up with Joyce at From this Side of the Pond.  Want to join?  copy and paste the questions to your blog.  Answer the questions.  Link up over at Joyce's blog.

1. Did you watch the solar eclipse? Your thoughts? Sun Chips, Moon Pies, Starburst candies, a Blue Moon beer, a Sunkist orange, or a Milky Way candy bar...what's your favorite eclipse related snack on this list?
First, I'll pick my food . . .I love Sun Chips - yummmmmm!! (I also love a really good orange!)  I just realized that I'm not that fond of Milky Way candy bars!  I haven't been eating desserts since February (I think I've mentioned that a time or two :-) ) so I might not indulge in the moon pies or starburst candies and I don't like beer AT ALL!

I did watch the solar eclipse (many thanks to my son and daughter-in-law for the glasses!).  Several of us from work gathered on the front lawn of the church and had a blast!!  The first picture is us being crazy - I'm not holding my nose I'm holding my glasses on my face - haha!



We had 92 or 93% totality and it didn't get as dark as I thought it would but we did get deep shadows and the crickets thought it was evening!


One of my favorite things was the crescent shaped shadows - they were so awesome!!



The sun is directly overhead normally at this time of the day and this is the courtyard outside my office -- usually not a shadow in sight but deep shadows on Monday.


Russell (our minister of music) and I were staring at the eclipse!

Below was posed.  I wish Amy had recorded me when I first put my glasses on.  The eclipse was just beginning and I was jumping up and down like a little kid!  It was so exciting to me.



2. What are you 'over the moon' about these days? What's something you enjoy doing every 'once in a blue moon'?

We continue to be "over the moon" about our sweet grandbaby.  She was trying on her great grandmother's boots on Sunday!!  This girl loves shoes!!  

I enjoy having an alcoholic drink "once in a blue moon" - I don't drink often - mainly because many drinks are so calorie laden.  But once in a blue moon . . .yum!



3. Tell us about something in the realm of science that interests you. How do you feed that interest?

I love to look at the stars.  I love to wake up while it is still dark outside and go sit on the front porch and just stare up at the sky.  When I do, I am in awe of our creator!

4. What are a few things you remember about going back to school as a child?

I loved school!  I especially loved new school supplies - pens, pencils, protractors, notebooks, new books, new lunchboxes (I'm so old that we had metal lunchboxes!!), book satchels (they weren't back packs -- I had a really cute red plaid one!!).  I also loved the first football game  . . . or maybe I should say the first Friday night football game where there was a nip in the air!  This is the deep south so that wasn't right at the beginning of school.

5. I've seen several versions of this around the net so let's make one of our own...share with us five words that touch your soul and briefly tell us why.

1. Grace - God's grace is truly amazing
2. Grandchild - oh my goodness!  People told me but I didn't believe them.  Being a gran is so cool!  I can love on that baby . . .and then I can give her back! hahahaha!
3. Friends - I spent a little while chatting on the phone with a close friend today.  We were both marveling at how much a good friendship means to our well being.
4. Family - we celebrated some birthdays on Sunday (maybe I'll write about it and share some pictures) and we enjoyed being together.
5. Laughter - I can't imagine a day without laughter.  A good laugh seems to cleanse the soul from the inside out.
I could keep going but I'll stop with 5!!

6.  Insert your own random thought here.
We are going on vacation soon . . . to the beach . . .oh goodness . . .Beach might be one of my words, too!  I haven't taken a vacation this year - just a Friday off here or there . . .and I'm in DESPERATE need of a vacation.  I'm going to put my toes in the sand and I think I'll have a "once in a blue moon" beverage or two.  Hopefully, I'll have some time to blog, too.  I'm going to TRY to make myself totally unplug from work for at least 24 hours.

3 comments:

  1. What a fun solar eclipse time,I say!! :-) I love the crescent moon shapes too. So much fun and so amazing. God is so good to us.

    Have a Happy Vacation!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little granddaughter in the big shoes is so cute ! We didn't have a solar eclipse anyway with all the clouds I would have seen nothing !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sun Chips and dislike Milky Way candy bars, too, Lisa. I sure wish we could get Sun Chips in Ecuador but it makes them a great treat when I visit family in the US. Your eclipse photos look cool. It had to be a fun experience. We only had 2% totality so basically just an average day with no lighting change. Hope you had / are having fun at the beach with your once in a blue moon beverage :) I nominated you for a Liebster Award - congratulations! You can find out more details on my post Liebster Award.

    Emily | My Life In Ecuador

    ReplyDelete