Thursday, December 26, 2013

Doesn't your family play Croquet on Christmas Day?

Hot dog!  My title even rhymes!!!  Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.  We began gathering at my mother-in-law's house in the afternoon on Christmas Eve.  All of our "kids" are grown (or almost grown) and I loved that they played games together.  They were playing some card game at this point.



We all enjoyed our annual "eating of pizza on Christmas Eve" and then followed the pizza eating by attending Christmas Eve service at our church.  I love this service.  It begins at 7:00 p.m. and as you can see . . .the sanctuary is filled with people.  The youth choir (Cross and Flame Youth choir) sings at this service and we also had two soloists . . .one by a girl in the ninth grade . . .Colby . . .and she did an amazing job.  My all time favorite EVERY SINGLE year is O Holy Night sung by Scott Brooks.  Let me just tell you . . . .when he is singing, it feels like the Holy Spirit is "whushing" (I know that isn't a word but it describes what I want to say!!) through the sanctuary.  He is not a professionally trained singer . . .he is a church member whom God has gifted with an amazing voice.  He doesn't even read music. . . .but oh my goodness, can he ever sing!!!  Holy Communion (Lord's supper) is served.  Many years, I have been gifted with the awesome task of helping to serve but this year, I had a large boo boo on my foot.  (another post for another day)  As I knelt at the altar rail, our senior pastor, Andy, whispered "hop along" to me!!  I love attending a church where our senior pastor knows me and knows about my silly foot (yes, I am on staff BUT I think he would know it even if I wasn't).

At the very end of the service, we sing Silent Night.  When we reach the last verse, the organ and orchestra ceases . . . and everyone sings softly and we raise our candles to the New born King!  It is so incredibly powerful.  Just typing these words give me goosebumps!!!


photo courtesy of Scott Schablow, Trinity UMC member

 

Laura stayed with us on Christmas Eve. . . .and Santa came!! More on Christmas later . . .and I'll tell you about Croquet on Christmas Day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment