Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge

Thought I would write a quick post today . . .just fyi . . .God has been filling my cup all week.  I think someone must be praying for me!!  I'm not as tired . . .and my mind is less foggy.  I'm going to give God all the glory!!

I follow several blogs . . .this one is a fairly new one that I've been following but I love it because it is written by a UMC preacher!!  The name of the blog is Karen's Korner.  She probably doesn't even know that I am following her . . .we've never met.  Today she is doing Wednesday HodgePodge and I liked her questions . . .so thought I would jump in!

1.  What's one way you're like your siblings? If you don't have siblings, how are you like your lifelong best friend or cousin?
I am the baby in my family . . .the baby of three girls.   I know that my sister, Becky, and I "sound" alike.  I'm not sure how my older sister and I are alike.  I'll have to think about that one!  I do know we have all struggled with our weight over the years which is interesting to me because neither of our parents were overweight.  My sisters aren't as round as I am though.  (Becky - how are we all three alike???)  I know that I look so much like our mama . . .Becky always said she looked like our grandpa (which I think that is hysterical) . . .Glenine (oldest sister) is short like our mama.

2.  What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of yourself at age eighteen?
S.T.U.P.I.D.  No, really.  The question asked, "what's the FIRST thing?"  I really thought stupid.  I always told my kids not to use that word but . . .sometimes it does fit.  I married at 18 . . .and was divorced just a little over a year later.  I graduated in the top five of my senior class . . .but didn't start college . . .I got married.   I wish there had been someone to help me navigate colleges and scholarships . . .but I was so headstrong!!  I was IN LOVE and I WAS GETTING MARRIED.  Oh my goodness, what a mistake.

3.  Sculptor-dancer-actor-painter...if you could excel in one of these arts, which would you choose and why?
Could I be an actor and a dancer?  I think I would love to dance.  Sometimes I do when I'm all alone . . .and it is pretty funny!!  I took ballet as an elective at UAB and it was one of the hardest classes ever . . .and I was in great shape!!  There are certain songs that just make me want to dance.  I'm smiling as I type those words!!  oooohh . . .here is a little secret . . .remember how old I am?  Old enough to have lived through the disco era . . .I took disco dancing lessons with my best friend, too!!  Staying alive  . . .staying alive . . .oooh oooh oooh ! hahahaha!

4.  What's a scent that takes you back in time, and where does it take you?
I can't narrow that down to just one. . . .so I'll tell you about three (sorry!!).  My momma wore Chanel #5 . . .and she also wore Coty face powder.  If I smell either of those, I am transported back many years . . .to my momma and daddy's bedroom.
The other scent that takes me back in time is the smell of old books.  I spent many happy hours in the Tarrant City Library . . .and when I smell old books, I can close my eyes and be in that library!!

5.  November is for peanut butter lovers (National Peanut Butter Lovers Month). Are you a lover or a hater? What's your favorite dish/recipe that calls for peanut butter?  I LOVE peanut butter . . . on a spoon, on saltine crackers, with chocolate (Reese cups!!).  My favorite "recipe" would be for peanut butter pie.  YUUUUUMMMMY!! 

6.  What do people thank you personally for most often?  I have no idea . . .hmmmm . . .maybe teaching Sunday School???? . . .I'm also a pretty good listener (you wouldn't expect that since I like to talk so much but I am a good listener . . .and I can keep your secrets!!).  The young adults thank me for dinner on Tuesday nights.

7.  What event this year are you most thankful for?  These questions are getting harder and harder . . .One of the things that I am so thankful for is the She Speaks Conference that I went to in North Carolina earlier this year . . .and I'm thankful for the family that gave the money so I could attend.  I'm also thankful for time with family and friends . . .and my job . . .oh!! I am also thankful that our kitty didn't die when he was soooo sick!!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.  Well, dang!  I have tons of random thoughts.  I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.  I'm wishing and hoping that my sister will come home for Christmas.  I'm amazed at the gorgeous color of the leaves outside my window!!


Here is another random thought . . .I sure do enjoy our Tuesday nights.  I also think it is so cool that I work on a church staff.

I told you my thoughts are truly random . . .all the time!!  Pick a question and answer it . . .or answer them all on your blog. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I loved your responses. I especially loved the memory of the powder. My grandmother used to wear Channel #5 and she would always douse the girls with one quick pass of the puffy thing inside. I love that smell...even today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mom would do the same thing - a quick puff . . .made me think I was wearing make-up!!

    ReplyDelete