Saturday, November 9, 2013

Satisfying, Sumptuous, Savory Saturdays


Satisfying, Sumptuous, Savory Saturdays
 
 
Today's recipe -- Cranberry Chicken
by Lenore Neptune


Today's recipe is from our most recent church cookbook. Temptations!!!  Some of the recipes are available online but there are even more in the cookbook.  Let me tell you . . .I have about three favorite cookbooks and this is my "go to" cookbook most of the time.  Well worth the money. (no, they ARE NOT paying me to write about their cookbook . . .I don't know how many copies (lots and lots!) that I have bought and given as gifts though!!  You can buy one from the link above and they will mail it to you!)


This is definitely a satisfying and savory recipe!!
Cranberry Chicken

1 can whole berry cranberry sauce

1 8 ounce bottle French dressing (or catalina or Russian -- all three work!)

1 envelope dry onion soup mix

6 to 8 chicken breasts (I've made it with large bone in breasts for supper club and it is really good!  For the young adults, I use boneless skinless chicken breasts - giant bag from Costco.  The bone in breasts have more flavor - just fyi!!)

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray 9 X 13 pan with pam or line pan with foil for easy clean up. 

Combine cranberry sauce, dressing and soup mix.  Sometimes I zap in the microwave for 45 seconds to a minute so that the ingredients combine easier.

Arrange chicken pieces in baking dish and pour sauce over each one (use all the sauce).  Bake
uncovered for one hour or until chicken is cooked through (large bone in breasts make take longer than an hour).

Serve with wild rice and green beans and salad . . .yummy meal.

ok - here are my "extra" notes.  Sometimes I add a few - a cup maybe - of extra frozen cranberries to my sauce.  I also triple or quadruple the recipe for the young adults.  BUT do not triple or quadruple the onion soup - it will be too salty.  If you quadruple, you can probably use two envelopes of onion soup.  Another thing I do when I use this recipe for a large crowd . . .I use the crockpot.  IMPORTANT note:  the breasts are not as pretty when cooked in the crockpot (only use boneless - the others would probably fall apart).  When I use the crockpot, I remove the breasts from the crockpot at serving time and place on a large platter.  If I'm using the crockpot, I save back some of the "sauce" ( in the morning, don't put a cup or so of the sauce in the crockpot - but store it in the fridge).  Before serving heat reserved sauce and spread it on each breast once on the platter.  Presentation matters to me!!  I usually try to make sure a cranberry or two is on top of each breast.  The sauce leftover in the crockpot is really good to put on the rice.

This is an easy and delicious recipe!!  Something Satisfying and Savory for this Saturday . . .is a good thing!

Now I must finish preparations on my Sunday School lesson. . .it is on gratitude!  I am grateful for this gorgeous day . . .and for good food . . .and good friends . . .and sooooo many other things.  Most of all, I think I am grateful for God's grace!

P.S.  I forgot to tell you a couple of things!  Lenore Neptune is the mother of my boss!  I think that is cool.  She passed away several years ago so I really think it is neat to be using her recipe.  Also, please feel free to link up and share a recipe.  Just click on the link and follow the directions.  Last but not least, if you are a regular reader . . .I participated in Wednesday Hodgepodge this week.  One of the questions asked how I am like my siblings - ways we are all alike.  I had a hard time with this one but Becky (middle sister) and I talked and came up with several ways -- 1) all three sisters love to read . . .and not just love to read but love to read mysteries!!  2)  all three of us have been divorced at one time or another  3) all three of us have bad vision (but I had lasik surgery 10 or 12 years ago so I don't have to wear glasses except to read)  . . .seems like there were a couple of other things but I can't think of them now.

Don't forget to link up!

No comments:

Post a Comment