Wednesday, July 3, 2024

A Patriotic Hodgepodge

Thanks to Joyce for our questions!!

1. It's a big week in the US of A as we celebrate Independence Day. Do you have any special plans? How will you mark the day? BBQ? pool-lake-beach time? fireworks? homemade ice cream? If you're not an American you can tell us what's happening in your corner of the world on Thursday. We have no special plans which seems really weird. Mark may run down to the farm for a day or so. I need to study for my mid-term. For many years, we spent the 4th of July at Mark’s first cousin’s house on a lake that is about an hour away.  We had lots of kids between us and we ate BBQ and sides and homemade ice cream and watermelon and cookies. Sometimes we didn’t want to go but we usually ended up having a good time. Now I sort of miss those times. Maybe I’ll go to the neighborhood pool for a little while. Our city had their fireworks on Sunday evening and we didn’t go. A country club nearby will have fireworks tonight. Maybe I can see those from our porch.

pictures of my scrapbook pages
of a past fourth of July




2. What's your favorite 'All-American' dessert? On Tuesday, I ate lunch at Edgar’s bakery, and they had so many good looking desserts decorated in red, white, and blue. They had cookies and petit fours and cakes. I do love (even though I don't eat) a good sheetcake decorated like the flag or a good berry trifle. Homemade ice cream is All American, isn’t it? Or is that just in the south?

3. Does that patriotic feeling come easily to you, or are you having to work for it more these days? What's something that makes you proud to be a citizen of your country?  I think I used to be more patriotic than I am now. I do love to be at a live sporting event where someone sings the National Anthem. That usually gives me chills (if it is sung by a good singer!).

4. Your favorite 'patriotic' movie? Favorite patriotic song? I don’t know if I have a favorite Patriotic movie – the movie that popped into my head is Major Payne! I grew up singing . . .

This land is your land

This land is my land

From California to the New York Island

From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters

This land was made for you and me!

5. One simple pleasure on your July 'bucket list'? We are going to see Black Jacket Symphony Jimmy Buffet with friends and we are going to our granddaughter’s 5th birthday party and we are helping to host a couple’s shower and all will be fun. Of course, all three of those things are packed into one weekend!!

6. Insert your own random thought here. We hosted our Supper Club on Saturday night and one of the meats we served was a smoked duck. Mark did a great job. I had never tasted duck and I was surprised at the taste and texture.



14 comments:

  1. My hubs goes duck hunting every year so we always have duck in the freezer. He doesn't bring them home whole like that though, but that looks impressive! Funny how sometimes all the fun events are jammed into the same weekend. Still I'm sure you'll enjoy. Good luck on your mid-term!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark hunts but this duck was from Publix :-). I was really impressed!!

      Delete
  2. Your scrapbook page layouts are neat- love the flag motif of the background. What a busy weekend you have upcoming. Sounds like it will be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I also grew up singing This Land is Your Land. :-) I still sing it today.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been singing it all day now that I have it in my head!

      Delete
  4. I also grew up singing This Land is Your Land too. Makes me think of my youth group camping and beach trips and singing it. That roast duck looks good! I enjoyed your scrapbook pages! Happy 4th!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed at how good the duck tasted! Since I typed those song lyrics, the song has been stuck in my head all day!!

      Delete
  5. Your have a fun July ahead!! The duck looks yummy. It's been nearly 40 years since I had duck. Wow. I just don't go to restaurants that serve it (alligator and frog legs... yes LOL). Have a good holiday weekend! Hodgepodge is always interesting and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your scrapbook embellishments are beautiful!
    Yep, I sure remember singing that song in glee club. The Seekers' version is pretty great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved when I could see fireworks from our own porch or deck - happened a LOT when we lived in MD but not here in OH, so that's something I miss. The smoked duck looks good! I like duck but I've never had it smoked. Something for hubby and me to try sometime this summer! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That smoked duck looks like it is cooked to perfection. I'm with you on enjoying and feeling proud to sing the National Anthem or hear it sung at sporting events. Happy 4th of July to you and enjoy the rest of July, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always get the chills too when someone sings the national anthem

    ReplyDelete