Thursday, September 3, 2020

Seconds


Welcome to another edition of the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Thanks to “from this side of the pond” for the questions! Yes . . .I know it is not Wednesday. I guess mine is Thursday Hodgepodge.



1. The Hodgepodge lands on the second day of a brand new month. Tell us one thing you're looking forward to in September.

We are headed to the beach for a few days later this month and I desperately need a vacation. I plan to take lots to read and if it is sunny, I’m going to be sitting in a puddle of sunshine while reading. If it rains, I’m going to curl up on a comfy chair or sofa. I hope to take some long walks and have a few cold beverages. Due to covid, we will not be eating in restaurants but I hope to pick up some fresh shrimp one night! 

I cannot believe it is September. I keep thinking we haven’t had summer yet. This pandemic has done a number on my mind.

2. Do you enjoy browsing second-hand shops? Last thing you bought or 'inherited' second hand?

My first thought is that I don’t do second hand but actually, our church usually has a Lil Lambs sale 2 times a year. The sale is for gently used (very good condition) children’s clothing and toys and I have bought quite a few things for my granddaughters at the last two sales. If you sign up to work, you get to shop early so I’ve done that. I bought a pack and play and a bouncy seat for our house and I’ve found some really cute clothes. (due to covid, we aren't having the fall sale)

3. Something you had second thoughts about after committing to, purchasing, or posting/commenting online?

I rarely post anything online that anyone could misconstrue but I did one time – yes, one time! I had been in Walmart and had watched a child throw a temper tantrum and I commented about it on Facebook. A sweet person that is an acquaintance quickly told me that the child might have autism. I think I responded and said, “no, it was just a kid pitching a fit.” Then last year, we took an online class at work about how our church staff & building could be more friendly to those with autism and I realized that the child I saw way back when was probably NOT throwing a temper tantrum but reacting to too much noise and too many outside stimuli . . .and I felt (and still feel) bad about what I posted that day.

4. What's a product or service you use that you'd rate as second to none?

We have an old precor treadmill. I bought it back when our kids were probably in middle school and they are almost 34. It was a “club grade” treadmill and we are still using it almost every day. Just this morning, I was on the treadmill and my husband was on his SECOND HAND (do I get extra points??) airdyne and he said, “we sure have gotten our money’s worth out of that treadmill.” It is truly second to none! We’ve had it worked on 2 times in all of these years.



Also, look at that new garage floor. Southern Grit (love the company name) is owned by one of our neighbors and we had the floor done a few weeks ago -- it is awesome!

5. Something you do so often or that comes so naturally to you it's second nature ?

I can type really quickly and I don’t even know which key is what letter – I’ve typed for so many years that all of the memory is in my fingers. Would that be second nature? 

I also have positivity as one of my top strengths and I think it has become second nature for me to look for the positive in each situation.


6. Insert your own random thought here.

Over the weekend, I blogged for the first time in over a year. I’ve missed writing down some of my thoughts. Now for my totally random thought . . .I was talking to my daughter on the phone yesterday and I said that something (or someone?) was cray cray and she said, “don’t say that anymore. People don’t use that word anymore!” Well dadgum, I had just gotten used to it and it is far nicer than the words I used at the beginning of the pandemic . . .Bat sh*t crazy!

 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog today! It is nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to blogland. That treadmill--it was a great bargain, for sure. And I do love your garage floor.
    Enjoy your seashore vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back. Enjoy your vacation.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete