Here are the questions to this week's Hodgepodge. Answer on your own blog, then connect back over on Joyce's blog.
1. It's that time of year again...time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words (or phrases) they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, or genera uselessness) in 2018. You can read more about the decision making process and word meaning here, but this year's top vote getters are- unpack, dish (as in dish out the latest rumor), pre-owned, onboarding/offboarding, nothingburger, let that sink in, let me ask you this, impactful, Cofefe, drill down, fake news, hot water heater (hot water doesn't need to be heated), and gig economy
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
I'm so very tired of fake news - I'm tired of hearing fake news and I'm tired of hearing about fake news. I would love to live in a world where the news is reported accurately.
Sort of related - one of my favorite Halloween costumes this year was a teenager (boy) wearing a suit with news clippings all over the suit. I asked him what was his costume and he turned around and on the back of his suit there were giant letters, "F A K E N E W S." Awesome costume!!
2. What's something you need to get rid of in the new year?
a. 20 more pounds. At the beginning of 2017, I decided to make a change in my health because of several reasons - one was that I couldn't buckle a pair of shoes when I was getting dressed (ticked me off that I couldn't bend over my giant belly!!) and another was the ability to play with our sweet grandbaby. I could get IN the floor to play with her and I could get UP from the floor BUT I felt like once I was there, I couldn't move around and I wanted to be able to fully enjoy spending time with her. I've been successful losing weight and getting in better health this year but would like to be in the ideal range for my height. I don't have to be thin at this age but I do want to be healthy.
b. the mess in my office - I've thought about renting one of those giant dumpsters and having it located right under my office window and I could just open up the window (brrrr!) and clean out things!!
3. Where do you feel stuck? I'm not sure I have a separate answer to this question. It actually ties into my number two answers.
4. January is National Soup Month. When did you last have a bowl of soup? Was it made from scratch or from a can? Your favorite canned soup? Your favorite soup to make from scratch on a cold winter's day?
I love a good bowl of soup and make soup quite often and freeze it in individual serving size containers. It is cold this week here in the deep south and I ate a bowl of soup from the freezer for dinner last night. I have four soups that I really love:
|taco soup made with 97% fat free ground turkey|
chili, white bean chicken chili, taco soup, Butch's chicken noodle soup
I can make the first three very low fat, etc. and enjoy eating them often. Butch's chicken noodle soup is ANYTHING but low fat, low calories. It is scrumpdillyicious.
For canned soups, I still love a good bowl of Campbell's Tomato Rice soup or Campbell's Vegetable Beef soup.
5. Tell us one thing you're looking forward to in 2018.
just one thing??? how about two? I'm looking forward to my trip back to Israel on January 31 and I'm really looking forward to our daughter's wedding in May!!
6. Insert your own random thought here.
I've had so many things rattling around in my brain for the last week or so. I would love to sit down and blog some of my thoughts but can't seem to be able to pull them together for a good post. January is going to be a hectic month but I'm hoping for a slower February (after return from Israel) but who am I kidding?
One of our goals as a couple this year is to entertain more friends - maybe once a month. We enjoyed spending time with two couples on New Years Eve and we even made it to midnight for a champagne toast!!