Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge

 

Jump in with From this side of the Pond and answer some fun questions!!

1.   October 21, 2015 is Back to the Future Day. Did you see the movie? The sequels? In the second film, Doc takes Marty into the future to prevent Marty's future son from making a mistake. They leave 1985 and land on a 'skyway' on October 21st, 2015. So tell us, what were you doing in the fall of 1985?
Yes, I saw the original movie and the first sequel. I actually had to google the movies just now to see how many sequels there were.  I did not see Back to the Future III and it sounds kind of lame. Is lame even a word used anymore? 

What was I doing in the fall of 1985? We were still newlyweds so I was still working for AT&T (as a service rep for the State of Alabama account) and we were living in our first house in Helena. We hung out with our friends – Mark and Melissa – a lot!  I was thin back then!!  I just pulled our old church directory and scanned a picture of us from 1985 (I think we look better now than then!). . .and look who was right next to us in the directory – my boss and his family! (I just noticed they spelled his name incorrectly!)



2.  If time travel were possible, would you want to go to the future? The past?
Could I do both? I would love to go back and see how life was for my parents and maybe even before . . .like back to John Wesley days!  I know I wouldn’t want to stay there.  I would also like to go forward . . .as I’m typing this, I’m thinking to myself, “would I really want to know the future?” I’m not so sure. I believe that God is with me every step of the way and life is pretty good right now so maybe I don’t want to see my personal future. I’m going to have to think about that one some more.

3. We're not flying cars, but some of the technology imagined in the 80's film has indeed come to pass in real life 2015-flat screen TVs on the wall, tablets, fingerprint recognition, video conferencing, online banking, 3-D movies, motion controlled video games, drone cameras, and smart glasses (Google glass).  Do you worry technology is growing at a rate so fast we'll soon be unable to keep up with it's demands? Do you think the Internet does more harm than good?  Several years ago, I heard a futurist speak at a Christian conference. He said that as technology grew, unrest in the world would grow. For many years, those in third world countries did not know about the “wonderful” lives others lived. With social media, it is in everyone’s face – and we only put the best stuff on social media, right? We make everything sound wonderful.

I can barely remember life without the internet (and I’m old!) and I use it all day long – every day. I do think that both good and bad come from use of the internet. I love being able to keep in touch with family and friends but the misuse makes me sad.

4. Your favorite dish prepared in a slow-cooker? Your favorite fast food? I make a killer BBQ chicken in the slow cooker – I also have a great layered Mexican recipe that is yummy.  Fast food? I LOVE French fries – I think I could eat them everyday.

5. No time like the present, down time, face time, pressed for time, in the nick of time, make time, mark time, or just in time...which timely saying most relates to your life right now?  No time like the present – we have just merged with another small congregation and there is no time like the present for ministry!!  I must admit that I’m looking forward to some down time – I’m going to be on vacation the week of Thanksgiving and the week after Christmas.  I haven’t had enough vacation time this year!!

6. Tell us about a place you went as a child or younger person that's no longer there or is now something else. How does that make you feel? I grew up in a part of town that was a nice blue collar part of town during my childhood through teenaged years. It was a great place to grow up – we played kick ball in the street (I was kickball queen!) and we walked to the library and the store.  Now that part of town is a frightening place. I drove through the town several years ago and I was depressed for days. It didn’t help that on the day I drove through, it was a grey, rainy day and everything seemed grey in that town. The school looked dilapidated; the houses looked forlorn; the stores looked run down and some were even closed. The backyard that I played in seemed so huge when I was a kid and it is a postage stamp.

7. Describe your comfort zone. These are tough questions today. I feel bad about my honest answer.  My comfort zone is with my people – whether that be at church or with my family or friends.  When I’m stretched to be with folks who are different than me, I have to really rely on God.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Our son and daughter-in-law have planned a gender reveal party for the baby and I’m looking forward to the party! It will be my first time to attend a gender reveal party!!  Also, our daughter just moved into her VERY OWN place in another town and we are so proud of her!!  She closes on the townhouse tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment